Directed by José Sommer Ribeiro e Richard Clarke, the remodelling and recovery project of the old Silk Tissue Fabric tried, in every way, to be faithful to history, design and architecture of the pre-existing building. Therefore, were taken the minimal changes possible (also conditioned by the classification of the building, in 1984, of Public Interest): the two bodies – factory and annexed warehouse (by 1923) –remained and were connected by a glass structure; the façade remains the same, except for the windows opening system; the wooden beams of the roof, which so pleased Vieira da Silva for evoking old memories were kept and pickled; arched openings on walls and windows in niche still remain unchanged. Beside these cares, a discreet recollection of history with the covering of the Auditorium walls with silk.
After all, this new function for the space required some significant changes: the increase of the warehouse, to create a basement, the opening and use of the attic, and the construction of an antechamber at the entrance of the Museum.
This resulted in a new spatial organization of the building: a basement and three upper floors, in which two are for exhibitions and the last is reserved to the Archives and Documentation Centre.
Following the ideology of the spatial organization of the old factory, the larger spaces on the first floor, where the works where taken place, become the permanent exhibition galleries, organized in a mix of open spaces and small communicating rooms; these smaller spaces that consisted in the old living spaces have given way to administrative areas.
The connection to the outdoors, including the garden, is always ensured, resulting in controlled but abundant natural light.